MP3 Chapter Summaries
Don't have time to prepare before class? Download the summaries of the chapters onto your MP3 player or iPod to catch up while you're on the go. Save the files to "My Music" on your computer. From there, you can load the files directly to your MP3 player.Listen to MP3 AudioListen to Audio in Flash PlayerDownload Audio as ZIP FileLearning Objectives
Major concepts of the chapter that you should be familiar with.
- After having read the chapter, students should be able to
- Describe the basic features of the Harappan urban settlements and compare those to contemporary urban settlements in Mesopotamia, Egypt, and China.
- Describe the migration of Indo-European languages.
- Understand what is meant by Aryan, in relation to the Vedic peoples.
- Describe the breakdown of Vedic social stratification.
- Describe the status of women in Vedic society.
- Explain and describe what a varna is.
- Discuss the life of the Buddha and how his religion differed from the Vedic religion.
- Discuss the life of Ashoka and the significance of his conversion to Buddhism.
- Understand the multiregional nature of Indian Ocean trade.