Examining Related Evidence: A Country Divided Between City and Country
This internet activity is based on the Examining the Evidence feature found on page 1029 of The American Pageant
, Twelfth Edition. Or you can view the feature here
The 2000 election was one of the closest in history. To investigate the data from this election further, go to the CNN
website and use the information found there to answer the following questions. You will have to explore the site to answer all of the questions.
- Who won the popular vote and by what margin?
- Who won the electoral vote and by what margin?
- Who won the popular vote in your state and by what margin?
- Who won the popular vote in your county and by what margin?
- How did the third party candidates do in your state and county?
Identify three other elections in which the loser had more popular votes than the winner.
- Identify five presidents who won less than 50% of the popular vote.