| Humanities in the Western Tradition , First Edition
| Review Questions
Chapter 25: The Era of Totalitarianism and World War II: Descent into the Abyss
- What are the characteristics of the totalitarian regime? How does such
a regime function, and what are its aims? What sort of ideology does it propagate,
and what function does this ideology serve? What totalitarian regimes are
a product of the twentieth century?
- How did Stalin's regime emerge in Russia, and how did fascism rise in
Italy and Germany? To what extent do these states exemplify modern totalitarianism?
- What course of events led to the outbreak of World War II? What was the
rationale behind the appeasement policy of Britain and France? How did the
war proceed, and what were its decisive moments? How did it end? What were
- What did Steinbeck contribute to the literature of social justice? What
is Brecht's theory of epic theater? With what plays did he try to realize
- What authors are best known for their indictments of totalitarianism?
What are their most notable works, and how do these attack the totalitarian
- What forms has Holocaust literature taken, and what purpose does this
literature serve? Who are the leading Holocaust writers, and for what works
are they best known?
- Who are the major war novelists, and how do their works envision the
experience of World War II and its aftermath?
- For what works are Richard Wright and Ralph Ellison best known? How do
those works portray the experience of black people in American society?
- What effect did the rise of totalitarianism have on the development of
- How did Modernist art come to the United States? How was it received
by the public, and how did American artists respond to it? What did Hopper,
O'Keefe, Lange, and Adams contribute to the development of American art?
- How did the International Style of architecture develop? Who were its
leading practitioners, and what were the characteristics of their style?
What was Frank Lloyd Wright's attitude toward the International Style, and
how did his style differ from it?
- What innovations did Holiday introduce into the practice of blues singing?
What was Bebop, and who were its leading practitioners?
- What are the distinguishing features of Bin Band jazz? Who were the
major band leaders, and what did they contribute to the form and to the culture
- What debate was provoked by the rise of totalitarianism and World War
II? What questions defined the terms of the debate, and how did intellectuals
attempt to answer them?