| Humanities in the Western Tradition , First Edition
| Review Questions
Chapter 5: The Hellenistic Age: Cultural Diffusion
- How did Alexander the Great rise to power? What role did he play in the
development of Hellenistic civilization?
- What were the defining features of Hellenistic cosmopolitanism? What
were its limits?
- What characteristics do Hellenistic poetry, drama, romance, and history
share? How do they differ from their Hellenic precursors?
- How did Hellenistic science develop? Who were the great figures of this
development? How did they build upon the achievements of earlier Greek scientists?
- What did Hellenistic philosophy retain from the earlier Hellenic tradition?
What were the most pressing questions to Hellenistic philosophers, and how
did their answers clear the path for Christianity?
- What were the four major schools of Hellenistic philosophy? What were
the basic principles of each?
- What did Hellenistic artists inherit from their Hellenic precursors?
How did they extend and add to the Classical tradition?