| Questions to Consider
BrokeóBaby SickóCar Trouble
Through her work for the federal government, photographer Dorothea Lange helped create a visual record of the effects of the Great Depression on the American people. Think about what people faced in 1937 to help understand the message of this picture.
Questions to Consider
- After reading your text, describe what was happening in the U.S. economy in 1937.
- What are the people in the picture doing?
- What do the items loaded on the back of the truck represent? Why did this family take so many things with them?
- Where do you think the father of this family went?
- What do you think might have happened to this family?
- Explain why this photograph is a useful piece of evidence in understanding the Great Depression.