|Earth Happenings Archive|
September 1, 1998 to September 30, 1998
- September 30, 1998
- A magnitude 5.7 earthquake occurred in the Vanuatu Islands.
- September 28, 1998
- A magnitude 6.3 quake struck the Indonesian island of Java, killing one person and damaging a number of homes.
- *The Talaud Islands were shaken by a magnitude 5.9 quake.
- September 26, 1998
- Eastern China was shaken by a magnitude 5.5 earthquake.
- September 25, 1998
- A shallow quake, with a magnitude of 5.2, shook Ohio. No damage was reported.
- September 23, 1998
- Popocatepetl Volcano in Mexico erupted ash and steam for six minutes this morning (Cenepred).
- September 21, 1998
- Indonesia's Minahassa Peninsula was shaken by a magnitude 5.8 earthquake.
- September 19, 1998
- Pacaya volcano in Guatemala began to erupt ash, after a lull of several months (S.V.E. Volcanic News).
- September 17, 1998
- After a twenty year lull in volcanic activity in the region, Cerro Azul Volcano on the Galapagos island of Santa Isabella began to erupt (Discovery Channel Online; Volcano World)).
- September 16, 1998
- A magnitude 5.5 quake occurred in the Solomon Islands.
- September 15, 1998
- Eastern Honshu Island was shaken by a magnitude 5.4 quake.
- *A shallow, magnitude 6.4 quake occurred in the New Britain Region of Papua New Guinea.
- September 14, 1998
- Alaska's Andreanof Islands where struck by a magnitude 5.9 quake.
- September 10, 1998
- A magnitude 5.9 quake occurred in the Mariana Islands.
- September 9, 1998
- A shallow (mag. 5.3) earthquake shook southern Italy today. Two people were killed by the tremors.
- September 8, 1998
- An explosive eruption occurred at Stromboli last night, shattering windows in the nearby town of San Bartolo, Italy (Volcano World).
- September 7, 1998
- A magnitude 5.7 quake occurred along the west Chile Rise in the Pacific Ocean.
- September 5, 1998
- The Solomon Islands experienced a mag. 5.7 quake today.
- September 4, 1998
- India's worst floods in decades have killed at least 1,500 people this summer (Washington Post/AP).
- September 3, 1998
- A magnitue 6.0 quake, which occurred in the vicinity of Iwate Volcano, shook Japan. Ten people were injured. Iwate, which has not had a major eruption sice the 1700's, has recently experienced increased seismic activity (CNN/Reuters).
- *Other large quakes today shook the coast of central Chile (mag. 6.5; CNN/Reuters)and Nepal (mag. 5.8; Washington Post/AP). No damage was reported in either region.
- September 2, 1998
- The alert level at White Island Volcano in New Zealand has been raised to Level 2 after steam and gas plumes from a new crater were reported (Global Volcanism Nework). The steam eruptions reporteded started on August 21st.
- *A magnitude 6.7 quake occurred off the coast of the Philippine Islands. A tsumani warning was issued but there have been no reports of injury or damage (Washington Post/AP).
- *Flooding continues to wreak havoc in Eastern India and Bangladesh where over 550 people have been killed by floods this summer and an estimated $880 million in damages has occurred (Discovery Online)