|Earth Happenings Archive|
May 1, 1999 to May 31, 1999
- May 31, 1999
- Soufriere Hills Volcano on Montserrat erupted again today. There have been no new reports of damage.
(NOAA Satellite Services Division)
- May 28, 1999
- Popocateptl Volcano in Mexico had a small eruption today.
- May 27, 1999
- Luzon, in the Phillipines was shaken today by a magnitude 5.6 earthquake. No damage or injuries have been reported.
- *An earthquake of magnitude 5.2 occurred today in Southeastern Alaska.
- May 26, 1999
- Another ash plume was visible on sattelite imagery of Shishaldin Volcano, Alaska today. The plume rose from 15,000 to 20,000 feet above sea level and eventually detached from the top of the volcano.
- May 25, 1999
- Another eruption at Shishaldin Volcano, Alaska sent an ash-rich ash-rich steam plume 100 miles to the south and 20,000 ft. up.
- *An earthquake of magnitude 5.7 shook the Vanuatu Islands today.
- May 24, 1999
- Activity at Colima Volcanic Complex has Mexican officials very worried about a major eruption.
- May 22, 1999
- Two earthquakes, of magnitude 5.5,
and 5.7 occurred today in the Vanuatu Islands.
- *An earthquake of magnitude 5.5 occurred today in the New Britain Region of Papua New Guinea.
- May 21, 1999
- Vulcan de Fuego (the Volcano of Fire) in the Colima Volcanic Complex, spewed rock and ash again today.
(CNN) over Antigua, Guatemala.
- *An earthqauke of magnitude 5.7 occurred today in the Vanuatu Islands.
- *Telica Volcano in Nicaragua erupted phreatically today. The ash plume strtched to 500 m above the crater.
- May 20, 1999
- Souffriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat erupted explosively again today. The ash cloud reached 20,000 ft above sea level.
- May 18, 1999
- The North Island, New Zealand was shaken by an earthquake of magnitude 6.3
today. The depth of the quake, ~340 km below the earth's surface, means the lack of damage is not suprising, despite the central location.
- *An earthquake of magnitude 5.8 occurred today in the New Britain region of Papua New Guinea.
- *Another earthquake, of magnitude 5.8, shook Mindao in the Phillipines.
- *Vulcan de Fuego (the Volcano of Fire) at Colima in Mexico let out 20 outbursts of ash in 24 hours.
(Discovery Channel Online)
- May 17, 1999
- The same area in the New Britain Region of P. N. G. was shaken by two earthquakes
today. The first had a magnitude of 5.5,
and the second a magnitude of 6.9.
- May 16, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 7.0 shook the New Britain Region of Papua New Guinea, today.
- *Another earthquake of magnitude 6.2 struck Irian, Jaya, Indonesia.
- *An explosive eruption at Popocateptl Volcano in Mexico sent an ash plume 2.5 km (~8700 ft) into the air above the volcano today.
(GVN Listserver page)
- May 15, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 6.0 shook the high desert 15 miles south of Mammoth Lakes, California, in the central Sierra Nevada. There were no reports of injuries or damage from the shallow quake.
(CNN). The earthquake was followed by numerous smaller aftershocks.
- *The Volcano of Fire, one of the three vents that makes up the Colima Volcano complex in western Mexico, sent up another ash cloud 7,200 ft above its crater.
Shallow earthquake activity is also increasing, leaving Mexican officials worried about eruptions still to come.
- May 14, 1999
- Southern California was shaken up a by a magnitude 5 quake.
- *A lnadslide in Peru wiped out part of an oil pipeline, spilling more than 8,000 barrels of oil into the Amazon jungle
- May 13, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.6 shook the Minahassa Penninsula, Sulwesi in the New Guinea area.
- *Shishaldin Volcano has shown week seismic tremors and a small ash plume today. The plume rose 1000 ft (300 m) above the summit.
- May 12, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 6.2 struck Hokkaido, Japan today.
- May 11, 1999
- A magnitude 5.6 earthquake occured today on the Southern East Pacific Rise.
- May 10, 1999
- A strong explosion at the summit dome of Colima volcano
sent out shockwaves that could be felt at the city of Colima, more than 32 km away.
The explosion sent an eruption column up 7000 meters and created two small pyroclastic flows. The explosion also sent up ballistic projectiles that travelled as much 4.5 km from the summit.
(Smithsonian Global Volcanism Network)
(For pictures try CNN)
- * A landslide in Sacred Falls State Park, 30 miles north of Honolulu, on the Island of Oahu has killed 6 and injured at least 50 people.
The landslide occurred at the waterfall that gives the park its name when a large piece of the upper cliffs slid down into the pool at the base of the falls.
- *An earthquake of magnitude 7.1 shook the New Britain Region of Papua New Guinea today
- *A new ash eruption at Soufriere Hills Volcano on the island of Montserrat sent an ash cloud to 30,000 ft (9 km) today.
(Global Volcanism Network Listserver)
- May 9, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.6 occured today on the Mid-Indian Ridge.
- May 8, 1999
- A magnitude 6.1 earthquake shook the Kuril Islands today.
- *In Guatemala today, a magnitude 5.6 earthquake occurred.
- May 7, 1999
- Klyuchevskaya Volcano on the Kamchatka Penninsula, Siberia erupted today. The eruption was a series of small ash explosions. At it's maximum, the ash column extended 3000 m above the crater, and 8 km to the northwest.
(AVO KVERT Alert)
- *An earthquake of magnitude 6.1 shook the Kodiak Island Region today.
- May 6, 1999
- Southern Iran was shaken by a magnitude 6.3 earthquake today. The earthquake killed 26 people and injured 100. Most of the injuries and damage occurred in villages surrounding the city of Shiraz, but Shiraz itself was relatively unscathed.
- * Fourteen people are still missing in Oklahoma after Monday's tornadoes.
- May 5, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.6 occurred offshore of the Chiapas region of Mexixo today.
- *An earthquake of magnitude 5.6 shook the Kenai Penninsula of Alaska today.
- May 3, 1999
- Tornadoes, including the largest in North American history, tore through Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas. Winds of up to 260 mph destroyed most things in the tornadoes' paths.
More than 44 people are dead and hundreds are injured in Oklahoma City, OK, Witchita, KS and surrounding areas.
(CNN). One torando was more than 1 mile wide at times.
- May 2, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.6 occurred in the N. Atlantic today.
- May 1, 1999
- A pilot reported some ash venting from Souffriere Hills, Montserrat.