|Earth Happenings Archive|
May 1, 2000 to May 24, 2000
- May 24, 2000
- Southern Greece was shaken up by a magnitude 5.1 earthquake this
- *The Jan Mayen Island region was hit by a magnitude 5.2 quake
for the second time this week.
- May 23, 2000
- The Salta Province of Argentina was hit by a magnitude 5.0 quake.
- *A large volcano outside Mexico City, Popocatepetl, erupted Monday,
spitting ash more than a mile (2 kilometers) into the air, and forecasters
said some ash could fall on eastern parts of the city (CNN).
- May 22, 2000
- Mindanao in the Philippines was struck by a magnitude 5.3 quake
very early this morning.
- *The area on the border between Peru and Ecuador was shaken up
by a magnitude 5.4 quake.
- May 21, 2000
- The Jan Mayen Island Region was hit by a magnitude 5.6 earthquake
- May 19, 2000
- Pyroclastic flows from Montserrat dome collapses have flowed down
the White River creating a new delta where they entered the sea.
It is uncertain if this delta will survive or be eroded by seawaves
- May 15, 2000
- Vancouver Island in Canada was hit by 4 earthquakes within a period
of four hours. The first was of magnitude 4.1. The rest got consecutively
stronger ringing in at magnitudes 4.6, 4.9, and the last and strongest
as a magnitude 5.3 quake.
- * The New Ireland Region of Papua New Guinea was hit by a magnitude
- *There has been an increase in low-frequency events at the Shishaldin
Volcano. It is one of the most active volcanoes in the Aleutian
- May 14, 2000
- The Bonin Islands near Japan were hit by a magnitude 5.0 quake.
- *Sulawesi in Indonesia was shaken up by a magnitude 5.6 earthquake.
- May 9, 2000
- A small earthquake of magnitude 5.1 struck the area southwest
of Sumatera, Indonesia for the second day in a row. Today's quake
was slightly weaker than yesterdays magnitude 5.7.
- *Northern Chile was shaken by a magnitude 5.3 quake.
- May 8, 2000
- The Eastern New Guinea Region of Papua New Guinea was hit by a
magnitude 5.0 quake.
- *Leyte in the Phillippines was hit by two quakes in quick succession.
The first of which was a magnitude 5.2, and the second was a slightly
stronger magnitude 5.4.
- *The Kodiak Island Region of Alaska was hit by a 5.2 quake this
- *The Kermadec Islands Region was hit by a magnitude 5.5 quake.
- *The region southwest of Sumatera, Indonesia was hit by an earthquake
of magnitude 5.7.
- May 6, 2000
- A powerful earthquake that struck eastern Indonesia this week
killed 27 people and caused widespread damage, an army spokesman
said Saturday (CNN).
- May 4, 2000
- A 6.5-magnitude quake hit at 11:21 a.m., setting off a tidal wave
and causing damage along a wide stretch of eastern Sulawesi and
the offshore islands (CNN).
- May 2, 2000
- An earthquake hit the mountainous border between Afghanistan and
Tajikistan on Tuesday, officials said. No casualties or major damage
were reported (CNN).
- May 1, 2000
- The India Region of the Andaman Islands was shaken by a shallow
magnitude 5.0 earthquake.
- *Tajikistan was hit by a magnitude 5.1 quake.
- *The Irian Jaya Region of Indonesia was stuck by a magnitude 5.2
quake late this evening.