|Earth Happenings Archive|
March 1, 1999 to March 31, 1999
- March 31, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 6.0 shook the area south of Panama. There were no reports of injuries or damage.
- March 30, 1999
- Strong volcanic tremors indicate that the eruption of Mt. Cameroon Sunday might be the beginning
of a larger eruption.(Isaha'a Boh Cameroon). Sunday night people in the town of Limbe saw fountains of lava.
Lava flows from the volcano threaten the nearby rain forest.
- *A tornado in Bagledesh killed 2 and destroyed the homes of nearly 100,000 people in northern Bangledesh.(Yahoo! News)
- March 29, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.9 occurred in the South Indian Ocean today.
- *The Solomon Islands were shaken by a magnitude 5.5 earthquake today.
- March 28, 1999
- Magnitude 6.8 earthquake kills more than 100 in India.
The earthquake occured near the border with Xizang China. Damage is not quite as bad as officials feared just after the quake.
- March 27, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 6.0 occurred south of Jawa today.
- *The Irian Jaya Region was shaken by a magnitude 5.5 earthquake today.
- March 25, 1999
- Activity at Popo is stable after Monday's eruption.
Seismicity is low right now and a fumurole of gas and steam is visible pointing south from the volcano.
- March 22, 1999
An eruption at Popocatepetl sent ash up 4km. The plume was directed to the north.
- *A magnitude 5.6 earhtquake shook the Banda Sea, near New Guinea.
- March 21, 1999
- Two earthquakes, of magnitude 5.7 and 5.9 struck the Lake Baikal area in Siberia.
- * An earthquake of magnitude 5.5 occurred north of Severnaya Zemlya.
- * Popocatepetl volcano in Mexico emitted ash and gas today.
- March 20, 1999
- A magnitude 6.8 earthquake shook Adak, in the Aluetian Islands today. The epicenter was about 50 miles south of Adak.
- * A large explosion on Popocatepetl Volcano in Mexico dropped ash and gravel over the city of Puebla, and was occompanied by seismic activity.
- March 18, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.6 shook the Minahassa Peninsula.
- * Hokkaido, Japan was shaken today by an earthquake of magnitude 5.9.
- * A moderately large explosion at Popocatepetl volcano in Mexico this morning ejected hot fragments to the east and southeast to a radius of 3 km from the summit.
- March 17, 1999
- Unrest at Popocatepetl Volcano in Mexico since friday's small eruption has
caused officials to place evacuations centers on full alert. The volcano
has been spewing ash, and small tremors have been shaking the volcano for
several days. (CENAPRED Popo Page)
- March 15, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.6 shook the the Xinjiang Province of China, north of the Great Wall. Several houses collpsed and people were injured, but no deaths are reported.(Yahoo! News)
- *Floods left 23 dead and 6,000 homeless in central Mozambique. (
- * Several Indonesisan volcanoes have shown low level activity - in the form of seismicity, glowing lava and ash plumes that rose from 10-70 m above the crater rims - over the last week including: Kerenci, Anak Krakatau, Semeru, Batur, Sngeangapi, Lakon, Karangetang, Merapi and Ibu.
- March 12, 1999
- Popocateptl Volcano, near Mexico City, spouted ash and gas today. ( Yahoo! News, CNN)
- March 8, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 shook Kamchatka
today.(Yahoo! News. No injuries have been reported..
- March 7, 1999
- The Fiji Islands were shaken by a magnitude 6.1 earthquake today.
- March 5, 1999
- A magnitude 5.7 earthquake occurred in the Chile-Bolivia border region today.
- *The Chile-Argentina Region was also shaken today, by a magnitude 5.5 earthquake.
- *Another earthquake shook the southern Phillipines. The magnitude 5.5 quake is thought to be an aftershock to the larger quake last week.
- March 4, 1999
- An earthquake of magnitude 6.5 in the Celebes Sea Shook the southern
phillipines today. No one was hurt, but people did rush from swaying
buildings into the streets.
- *A magnitude 6.2 earthquake shook Southern Iran today. No damage or injuries are reported (Yahoo! News)
- March 2, 1999
An earthquake of magnitude 6.0 reportedly struck Northern Chile, no injuries are reported.
- *The Kermadec islands were shaken by an earthquake of magnitude 5.5 today
- * A magnitude 5.6 earthquake occurred off the the east coast of Honshu, Japan.
- March 1, 1999
- Since the weekend, Floods in Sau Paulo Brazil have killed
more than 7 people and left thousands homeless. (BBC Online). Authorities declared a state of emergency after more than 5 inches of rain fell in one hour.