|Earth Happenings Archive|
January 1, 1999 to January 31, 1999
- January 28, 1999
- A magnitude 6.4 earthquake occurred in the Fox Islands.
- January 25, 1999
- A magnitude 6.0 earthquake occurred in Columbia, causing massive damage. (BBC
Online Photos/Article) The quake killed more than 1100 people and
injured several thousand. Because of this earthquake, Columbian coffee shipments will be seriously delayed.
- January 23, 1999
- Mt. Etna, Sicily, erupted again today, dropping ash on the
neighboring towns. The eruption was in the SE Crater Cone and filled the
remainder of the crater.
- January 20, 1999
- A pyroclastic flow from Souffriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat,
flowed downed the Tar River valley to the sea, today.
- January 19, 1999
- A magnitude 6.4 earthquake occurred in the New Ireland Region.
- January 16, 1999
- A magnitude 6.1 earthquake occurred in the Gulf of Alaska.
- January 7, 1999
- A magnitude 5.6 earthquake occurred in Eastern Siberia.
- January 5, 1999
- A magnitude 5.5 earthquake occurred in the Tonga Islands.
- January 3, 1999
- A magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck the Timor Sea just off the coast of eastern Indonesia. No damage or injuries were reported ().
- January 1, 1999
- Happy New Year from geologylink!