|Earth Happenings Archive|
January 1, 2000 to January 31, 2000
- January 31, 2000
- The Dodecanese Islands were hit by a magnitude 5.0 quake.
- *Southern Xinjiang, China was hit by a magnitude 5.5 quake.
- *At least 11 people were killed and more than 20,000 fled their
homes as four days of heavy rains pounded the southern Philippines,
triggering floods and landslides (CNN).
- January 30, 2000
- A strong earthquake shook Tibet for the second time in five
days. The quake was a magnitude 5.0 (CNN).
- January 29, 2000
- The Nyamuragira volcano, one of two straddling Rwanda's border
with eastern Congo, became active, spitting out fire and rocks
- *Mindanao in the Philippine Islands was hit by a 5.0 quake.
- *Jawa, Indonesia was hit by a mag. 5.6 quake.
- *A strong magnitude 6.8 quake hit Japan. No reported damage
or injuries (CNN).
- January 28, 2000
- The Flores Sea was hit by another quake, this time of magnitude
- *The Mariana Islands were hit by a magnitude 5.2 quake.
- *A magnitude 5.3 quake hit the Sumbawa Region of Indonesia.
- *The region northeast of Taiwan was struck by a magnitude 6.0
- *The Kuril Islands were shaken up by a magnitude 6.8 earthquake.
- January 27, 2000
- A magnitude 5.1 quake struck the region just south of Honshu
- January 26, 2000
- An earthquake of magnitude 5.0 shook Xizang.
- *Yunnan, China was hit by a magnitude 5.1 quake.
- *The Jujuy province of Argentina was hit by a magnitude 5.1
- *A magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck the Tonga Islands.
- January 25, 2000
- A magnitude 4.6 quake rattled portions of Eastern Nepal (CNN).
- January 24, 2000
- Pacaya in Guatemala continues to erupt (Volcano
- January 23, 2000
- Pacaya, Guatemala begins to erupt (Volcano
- Kyushu, Japan is hit by a magnitude 5.2 quake .
- *A magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits just south of the Fiji Islands.
- *The Gulf of Alaska is shaken by a magnitude 5.4 quake.
- *The Flores Sea experiences a magnitude 5.8 earthquake and a
magnitude 5.9 earthquake.
- January 21, 2000
- The Philippine Islands region is hit by a magnitude 5.5 quake.
- January 20, 2000
- A magnitude 5.5 earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon.
- *The Rat Islands, Aleutian Islands are hit by a magnitude 5.3
- *A powerful earthquake in Laos jolts Thai provinces (CNN).
- January 19, 2000
- The near coast of Peru was shaken by a magnitude 5.0 earthquake.
- *The Hindu Kush Region of Afghanistan was hit by a magnitude
- January 18, 2000
- The Fiji Islands region was hit by two quakes, one of magnitude
4.9, and the other of magnitude 5.1.
- *Pacaya, Guatemala erupted leaving many communities on red alert
- January 17, 2000
- Again, the Santa Cruz Islands were hit by a magnitude 5.5 quake.
- *A powerful quake hits Colombia, no reported deaths or injuries
- January 16, 2000
- A Magnitude 4.3 earthquake struck off the coast of Northern
- *The Kodiak Islands were hit by a magnitude 4.8 quake.
- *The Santa Cruz Islands were hit by a magnitude 5.4 quake.
- *The Kermadec Islands, New Zealand were struck by a magnitude
- *Pacaya, near Guatemala City, erupted causing the evacuation
on 2000 people. (CNN).
- January 15, 2000
- A magnitude 4.4 quake hit south of Panama.
- *Another magnitude 4.4 quake off the eastern coast of Honshu,
- *A magnitude 5.3 quake rattled the Fiji Island region .
- *Another magnitude 5.3 hit the New Britain Region of Papua New
- *A magnitude 5.3 earthquake shook just south of the Mariana
- January 14, 2000
- Northern Peru was hit by a magnitude 4.3 quake.
- *Costa Rica shaken by a magnitude 4.5 quake.
- *Chiapas, Mexico hit by a magnitude 4.9 quake.
- *Another magnitude 4.9 quake struck the Mozambique Channel.
- *Two quakes, one of magnitude 5.2, the other magnitude 5.9 rattled
Yunnan, China. (CNN).
- January 13, 2000
- A magnitude 4.8 earthquake struck southern Chile.
- * Another magnitude 4.8 earthquake jolted the Kuril Islands.
- * A magnitude 5.3 earthquake shook the Fiji Island region.
- *A magnitude 2.9 earthquake hit South Africa and triggered a
landslide which buried 15 miners (Earth
- January 12, 2000
- Two earthquakes of mag. 4.3 hit Sonoma County California. (Earth
- *A magnitude 4.3 earthquake hits Eastern Japan and halts a nuclear
- January 10, 2000
- Landslides caused by heavy rains kill five in Malaysia (Earth
- *Northern Chile was struck by a magnitude 6.3 earthquake (Earth
- *The northern Chinese province of Lianoning was hit by a mag.
5.1 earthquake (Earth
- *A magnitude 6.1 earthquake jolted the northern Philippine province
of Zambales (Earth
- January 9, 2000
- A 6.4 quake in the Fiji Islands produced no reported injuries
- January 8, 2000
- The Solomon Islands experienced a mag. 6.4 earthquake.
*A mag. 6.3 quake shook northern Chile.
- January 7, 2000
- More landslides may occur in Venezuela as a result of recent
heavy rains. (AP)
- January 6, 2000
- A 6.0 quake in southeastern Alaska was felt in Juneau and Sitka,
but caused no reported damage or injuries. (CNN)
*Approximately 3000 residents were permitted to return to the
area around Tungurahua volcano after a deadly struggle with the
*A mag. 5.9 quake occurred near Luzon in the Philippine Islands.
- January 5, 2000
- Mount Mayon erupted ash four miles skyward; Philippine officials
are prepared to evacuate nearby areas. (AP)
*The Santa Cruz Islands were jolted by mag. 6.0 and 5.2 quakes.
- January 4, 2000
- Flooding and landslides from heavy rains have killed at least
28 and left thousands homeless in southeastern Brazil. (AP)
- January 2, 2000
- Andreanof Island in the central Aleutians was shaken by a magnitude
- January 1, 2000
- A moderate but unusual mag 4.4 quake in Ontario was felt throughout
much of that province and northern New York. (AP)
*A mag. 5.6 quake occurred west of Macquarie Island.