|Earth Happenings Archive|
February 1, 1999 to February 28, 1999
- February 25, 1999
- After a series of volcanic tremors Bezymyany Volcano, located in Kamchatka, erupted
a 5 km column of ash (KVERT report; Washington Post/AP).
- * The Lake Baikal Region in Siberia was shaken by a magnitude 5.8 earthquake. No one was injured.
- February 24, 1999
- Heavy rains caused landslides in the Peruvian jungle that killed at least 15 people (Washington Post/AP).
- *A magnitude 5.7 earthquake shook the Mariana Islands.
- *Tourists were banned and evacuation centers established when smoke and lava spewed from Taal Volcano in the Phillipines.
- February 22, 1999
- A magnitude 6.4 earthquake struck the Loyalty Islands region today.
- *An earhtquake of magnitude 6.1 shook Taiwan today. No one was injured, but buildings swayed and windows broke.
- February 20, 1999
- Hillslopes weakened by last month's earthquake in Columbia gave way after a series of heavy storms. The mudflows killed at least 5 people (Washington Post/AP).
- February 19, 1999
- Low-level seismic tremors and increased heat flow at Shishaldin volcano have caused AVO to increase the alert level to code yellow (AVO updates).
- February 18, 1999
- Taal Volcano, in the Phillipines, spewed 6m high mud geysers all weekend long.(Smithsonian GVN)
- February 17, 1999
- A magnitude 5.6 earthquake occurred in the Irian Jaya Region, Indonesia.
- *A magnitude 5.8 earthquake occurred in Northern Chile.
- February 14, 1999
- The Vanuatu Islands were shaken by a magnitude 5.7 earthquake today.
- February 13, 1999
- A magnitude 6.3 earthquake occurred near the Coast of New Guinea today.
- February 11, 1999
- A magnitude 5.9 earthquake shook the capitol city of Kabul, and the surrounding towns in Afganistan. The earthquake killed at least 50 people and injured 200, according to Afghani authorities (Yahoo! News)
- *A magnitude 5.7 earthquake occurred in the New Britain Region of Papua New Guinea today.
- February 10, 1999
- Colima Volcano, in Western Mexico erupted 3 times today. Neighboring villages were evacuated due to toxic gas.
(for information in Spanish see the Smithsonian Global Volcanism Network, also check out ariticles in English at various news outlets.
- February 8, 1999
- A magnitude 5.5 earthquake occurred in the Eastern New Guinea Region of Papua New Guinea.
- February 6, 1999
- A magnitude 7.3 earthquake occurred in the Santa Cruz Islands. Apparently, no damage or deaths were reported
- February 3, 1999
- A magnitude 6.2 earthquake occurred in the Tonga Islands.