|Earth Happenings Archive|
February 1, 2000 to February 31, 2000
- February 19, 2000
- The Kuril Islands were hit by 3 quakes within a span of an hour
and a half. The earliest quake was a magnitude 4.9. The next two
were slightly stronger. One of mag. 5.0, and the other a 5.1.
- February 18, 2000
- The Northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge was hit by two consecutive
quakes. The earlier of magnitude 5.1, the later of magnitude 5.5.
The region was also hit with a smaller but still significant magnitude 4.8 quake.
- February 17, 2000
- The Southern East Pacific Rise experienced a magnitude 5.1
- *The Santa Cruz Islands were hit by a magnitude 5.9 earthquake.
- February 15, 2000
- The Mariana Islands are hit with a magnitude 5.8 earthquake
very early this morning.
- *Scientists at the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology
issued a level three alert level for the Mayon Volcano (Volcano
- February 14, 2000
- The Piton de la Fournaise Volcano, Reunion, Indian Ocean erupted
approximately one hour after an important seismic crisis the evening
- *Turkey is hit by a magnitude 5.0 earthquake this morning.
- *Another magnitude 5.0 quake hits the region south of Honshu,
- *Southern Chile is hit with a magnitude 5.1 earthquake.
- *The Mount Etna Volcano erupted and shot ash and volcanic rock
from its southeast crater. Lava has been flowing down the uninhabited
flank of the volcano (Volcano
- February 13, 2000
- The region on the border of Eastern Russia and North Eastern
China was hit by a magnitude 5.4 earthqauke.
- *The Vanuatu Islands get rattled by a shallow magnitude 5.5
- *The Philippine Islands region is shaken up by a magnitude 5.9
- February 12, 2000
- The Tonga Islands are hit by a mangnitude 5.1 earthqauke.
- *A magnitude 5.8 quake shakes the Solomon Islands.
- *The Karymsky Volcano produced a short-lived gas-ash (or gas)
explosion. Following this event, about 100 explosive earthquakes
and gas blowouts were registered. Seismic activity is continuing
- *Mozambique faces an imminent threat from disease in the aftermath
of catastrophic flooding in the southern African country, aid
officials said on Saturday (CNN).
- February 11, 2000
- The capital of this normally dry southern African nation was
virtually cut off from road traffic Friday by flooding from torrential
rain that has swept across the region for five days, claiming
scores of lives (CNN).
- February 10, 2000
- Torrential rains drench northern South Africa continuing a week
of constant downpours that have killed dozens, flooded cities
and left more than 100,000 people homeless (CNN).
- *Southern Iran was shaken by a magnitude 5.0 quake.
- *Halmahera, Indonesia was hit with a mag. 5.3 quake.
- *A magnitude 5.3 quake rattled the South Indian Ocean.
- *A magnitude 5.7 quake shook up the Norther Molucca Sea.
- February 8, 2000
- The Loyalty Islands region washit by a magnitude 5.1 earthquake.
- February 7, 2000
- A magnitude 5.0 quake hits the Kuril Islands.
- *A magnitude 5.1 quake shakes the area just south of Honshu,
- February 6, 2000
- The Northern Molucca Sea is hit by a magnitude 5.6 quake.
- *The New Britain Region of Papua New Guinea is rattled by a
strong magnitude 6.7 earthqauke.
- February 5, 2000
- A magnitude 5.0 quake strikes Northern Colombia.
- February 3, 2000
- Northern Alaska was hit by a shallow magnitude 5.4 earthquake.
- *Mindoro in the Philipine Islands was hit by a serperate quake
also of magnitude 5.4.
- February 2, 2000
- Northern Iran was hit by a magnitude 5.4 earthquake.
- *The New Britain Region of Papua New Guinea was shaken by a
magnitude 5.5 quake.
- February 1, 2000
- The Mount Etna Volcano in Sicily, Italy erupted and sent ash
skyward. Ash was found 15 miles away from the volcano (Volcano