Underwater landslides pose major tsunami risk
- Scientists studying the California coast warn that major
landslides can trigger tsunamis, so-called "tidal-waves," with the
potential to sweep away coastal communities.
Dino-Killing Crater Gets the Drill
(Discovery.com News 12/18)
- The crater that marked the end of the dinosaurs is about to
the closest scrutiny ever by scientists planning an ambitious project to
drill through the crater to the ancient sediments below.
Coral reefs, often compared to rainforests, are among the
ocean's most diverse ecosystems
- The world has lost an estimated 27 percent of its coral
reefs, an international environmental monitoring
organization said Monday.
Ozone Hole May Be Closing
- Three hundred atmospheric experts who met in Buenos
Aires late last month
concluded that the large hole in Earth's ozone layer is
beginning to close.
Researchers say Alaskan glacier falling apart
- Alaska's Columbia Glacier, which moves into the sea at
a rate of up to 110 feet
(34 meters) a day, is ready to disintegrate, leaving a
researchers said on Tuesday.
Scientists find fossils of early man in Kenya
- French and Kenyan scientists have unearthed fossils
thought to be the remains of mankind's earliest
known ancestor -- predating previous discoveries by more than
1.5 million years.
We apologize for the inconvenience of broken links on our pages.
Unfortunately some of our sources do not maintain a long term archive of their articles.