- U.S. groups to assess climate talk failures (CNN.com 11/28)
- U.S.-based environmentalists plan to meet Tuesday for a review of what
went wrong -- and possibly what went right -- at the failed international
climate change talks in The Hague last week.
Solar Flare Series Bashes Earth
- A series of Thanksgiving flares from the sun is hammering Earth with
radiation and X-rays, and could cause northern lights to reach low
Midwest Geologists Offer New Look At Ancient Continental Collisions
(Science Daily 11/22)
- A team of geologists has accumulated extensive evidencethat contradicts
a previous view of how the continents which formed Gondwana collided and
came apart to form what is now North and South America.
Deep Mantle Volcanic Plumes Cause Of Atmospheric Oxygenation
(Science Daily 11/20)
- Most researchers agree that the initial rise in the
Earth's atmospheric oxygen occurred between 2400 and 1800 million years ago, but oxygen producing bacteria existed more than 300 million years before that. What caused this delay?
U.S. singled out as world's largest polluter at Hague conference
(CNN news 11/20)
- U.S. lawmakers reacted sharply on Monday to criticism
from French President Jacques Chirac that the United States was ducking its responsibility to cut greenhouse gas emissions implicated in global warming.
U.S. blasted at Hague conference for proposed use of
'carbon sinks'(CNN news 11/16)
- Environmentalists lashed out at the United States on
Thursday for what they allege is a cynical scheme to turn
the Amazon and other primal forests into "carbon sinks" to soak
up greenhouse gases.
Alaska's Tongass Forest added to protection plan
(CNN news 11/13)
- In a major win for environmentalists, President Bill
Clinton's administration has added Alaska's Tongass National
Forest -- the country's largest -- to a protection plan
for some of the United States' most pristine lands. The plan will
protect 8.5 million acres in the Tongass, and 58.5 million acres in national
forests across the US.
New meat-eating dinosaur identified in Italy
(CNN news 11/09)
- Fossil fragments found in a northern Italian quarry
belong to a new species
of dinosaur that lived 200 million years ago -- one of
the oldest meat-eating
reptiles ever discovered, Italian paleontologists said
UC Irvine Study Determines Levels Of Ozone-Depleting
Gases Emitted By Rice
Paddies Into Atmosphere
(Science Daily 11/03)
- A UC Irvine study has determined that the world's rice
paddies emit a small
but significant amount of methyl halide gases that
contribute to stratospheric
ozone depletion, suggesting that agricultural sources
also play a role in this atmospheric phenomena.
Ship Slams Great Barrier Reef
(Discovery Earth Alert 11/03)
- A Malaysian container ship transporting 1,200 tons of
fuel, oil and other
unspecified hazardous fluids, ran aground on the Great
Barrier Reef on Thursday, crushing its hull and
triggering fears of a potential environmental catastrophe.
(CNN news 11/02)
- Global warming adds energy to our entire atmosphere
that leads to more
frequent, intense storms, as well as coral bleaching El
We apologize for the inconvenience of broken links on our pages.
Unfortunately some of our sources do not maintain a long term archive of their articles.