| || |
Teaching Reading in Today's Elementary Schools,
| Chapter Objectives
Chapter 3: Word Recognition
- Describe some ways to help a child develop a sight vocabulary.
- Describe some activities for teaching use of context clues.
- Discuss the role of phonics in the reading program.
- Define each of the following terms: consonant blend, consonant digraph, vowel digraph, diphthong.
- Describe how to teach a child to associate a specific sound with a specific letter or group of letters.
- Discuss ways to teach the various facets of structural analysis.
- Identify the skills children need in order to use a dictionary as an aid in word recognition.