This chapter contains the following sections:
- PART A: Defining and Looking at the Paragraph
- PART B: Narrowing the Topic and Writing the Topic Sentence
- PART C: Generating Ideas for the Body
- PART D: Selecting and Dropping Ideas
- PART E: Arranging Ideas in a Plan or an Outline
- PART F: Writing and Revising the Paragraph
This chapter will guide you step by step from examining basic paragraphs to
writing them. The paragraph makes a good learning model because it is short yet
contains many of the elements found in longer compositions. Therefore, you easily
can transfer the skills you gain by writing paragraphs to longer essays, reports,
In this chapter, you will first look at finished paragraphs and then move
through the process of writing paragraphs of your own.
To navigate through this chapter's online resources, click the Prepare for Class, Improve Your Grade, and ACE the Test buttons in the blue sidebar on the left.