This chapter contains the following sections:
- PART A: Looking at the Essay
- PART B: Writing the Thesis Statement
- PART C: Generating Ideas for the Body
- PART D: Organizing Ideas into an Outline
- PART E: Ordering and Linking Paragraphs in the Essay
- PART F: Writing and Revising Essays
Although writing effective paragraphs will help you complete short-answer
exams and do brief writing assignments, much of the time-in college and in the
business world-you will be required to write essays and reports several paragraphs
long. Essays are longer and contain more ideas than the single paragraphs
you have practiced so far, but they require many of the same skills that paragraphs
This chapter will help you apply the skills of paragraph writing to the writing
of short essays. It will guide you from a look at the essay and its parts through
planning and writing essays of your own.
To navigate through this chapter's online resources, click the Prepare for Class, Improve Your Grade, and ACE the Test buttons in the blue sidebar on the left.