About our events | Who
should attend? | Session topics | Call for papers | Additional consulting services
At College Survival, we know student retention and performance improve when students participate in carefully designed student success courses taught by prepared educators. Our conferences and workshops are part of a comprehensive program to provide educators with proven instructional strategies and tools that lead to success. We invite all those involved in enhancing instruction and improving students' motivation and performance to learn hands-on, interactive teaching strategies, meet other instructors, and improve effectiveness as part of the learning process.
About our events
These 2-3 day events provide informative, interactive sessions on a wide
range of topics, such as active learning strategies, adult learners, learning
communities, retention, student athletes, technology, and much more. Presenters
include nationally known authors, student success instructors, and College
instructors are saying.
Any school using a Houghton Mifflin Student Success title as a required text may register two people free of charge, with additional registrants costing $125 each. Conferences tuition is $225 per person for non-member attendees.
Our one-day regional workshops are designed to help instructors generate ideas
and activities to enliven the teaching and learning experience. These interactive
events offer information on learning styles, teaching methodologies and much more.
We offer general student success workshops, and workshops focused on the Becoming
a Master Student textbook.
These workshops are offered free of charge.
Who should attend
Any educator, new or experienced, dedicated to promoting student success
in career schools, community colleges, two- and four-year colleges and universities.
- Academic and student affairs administrators
- Student success and freshman seminar coordinators
- Faculty (full-time and adjunct instructors)
- Retention/enrollment management directors
- Counselors and orientation directors
Call for proposals
- Using Learning Styles in the Classroom
- Offering Student Success Courses On-Line
- Strategies for Resistant Students
- Developing a Comprehensive Student Success Course
- Student Success Across the Curriculum
- Creative and Critical Thinking Skills
- Integrating E-mail and the Internet into Your Course
- Student Success Strategies for ESL Students
- Selling Your First-Year Seminar to Faculty and Administrators
- Taking It Home: Preparing a Teacher Training Workshop for Your Campus
Proposals for conference presentations and sessions are now being accepted.
Download the proposals form here.
Houghton Mifflin's College Survival consultants offer a host of services
and trainings to help with:
- Developing student retention strategies
- Design or implementation of student success courses
- Transforming the learning environment
- Engaging students as active learners
- Ensuring the achievement of course objectives
- Training faculty
out more about these valuable services.
Access handouts from our conferences.
on this page are in PDF format and require Adobe® Acrobat® Reader. You can download the free reader